6/17/2013

Tom Yam Goong


I am a big fan of soup. A bowl of soup will give a pleasant, comfort, warm feeling. And it's an extra point if the soup is sour and spicy.

This Tom Yam Goong is my all time favorite. I didn't remember when was the first time I had it, it was maybe when I was still in elementary school. My mom used to make this soup, but without chilli at the time because I couldn't handle that spiciness, and neither could my siblings.

When I made this soup this morning, it was suppose to be for my lunch and dinner (and Andra's too, I separated his soup before I added the chilli), but it seems like it's all gone in my tummy during lunch time. Ooh the comfort..

Recipe from here with modifications here and there.

Ingredients

8 big prawns, remove the head and shell except the tail but don't throw away
1 stalk lemongrass, cut in 1 cm long
1/2 tomato, cut into wedges
1 shallot, cut in half
5 kaffir lime leaves
1 cm galangal, bruised
2 bird's eye chilli
1T chilli oil, made from 3/4T oil and 1/2T chilli powder
100 gr mushroom (I used shimeji)
1/2T sugar
1/4T salt
600 ml water
2T lemon juice

Directions

1. Put water in a pot. Add the prawn's heads and shells to make the stock. Turn on the heat in medium. Once it boils, turn to simmer for 10 minutes and remove the scums.
2. Remove the head and shells, add the shallots, galangal, and lemongrass. Simmer for two minutes.
3. Add the mushroom and tomato wedges, simmer for another 2 minutes.
4. Season with salt, sugar, and chilli oil. Adjust the seasoning to your liking.
5. Add the prawns, cook for 1 minute.
6. Add the kaffir lime leaves and bird's eye chilli.
7. Add the lime juice. Serve immediately.

Note :
1. I find it that the prawn need to cook only a while in order to maintain their sweet juicy flavor.
2. If you're not going to serve the soup right away, don't add the lemon juice. Add it right before you serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment