6/13/2013

Balinese Satay Lilit and Sambal Matah

Wow.

 I can't believe that after so long, I'm finally going on a contest again. And it is my first recipe/cooking contest! Last time I took part in a contest, it was like 20 years ago, on my dad's company's drawing contest for kids.

This recipe has been on my mind since I heard about the contest from mbak Indah. I wanted to share Indonesian recipe which represent me and my country. At first I couldn't imagine how i would do it. And just like I thought, the making process was really a challenge. Picture this : a woman blending the fish with the spices and stuffs all over the kitchen table, with a little boy who asked her to sing his favorite songs. Plus asked her to dance with him. Or when the boy asked her to help him draw a star on a paper. While she was kneading and shaping the paste. Quick run to the bathroom, a soap and water help, and a star is drawn. Not to mention the dirty dishes afterwards.

But I made it. I successfully cooked the Satay and Sambal,  while still be able to entertain my baby, arrange the dish for presentation, took pictures, submitted my recipe and photo to the contest, and did the clean-ups.

I am proud of myself. Because I think the greatest challenge was myself with the doubts and the laziness. As cliche as this may sound but winning is not the only goal. I did my best, I made it to the finish line, and that's all that matters now. Moreover, when Mr. M came home and we had dinner, he complimented the dish and he loved it! It was more than a reward for me. 

If you are interested in Indonesian food and you like my picture and recipe, please submit your vote to my dish here. I would really appreciate it!

Balinese Satay Lilit w/ Sambal Matah
Satay Lilit
Ingredients
A
- 250gr mackerel, blend until smooth
- 25gr shredded coconut
- 6 kaffir lime leaves, remove the stem, slice thinly
- 1 tsp gochujang
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste
- 1 tbsp tapioca flour
- 12 stalks lemongrass
B
- 7 pcs shallots
- 3 pcs candlenut
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 cm turmeric
- 2 cm galangal
- 1 cm lesser galangal
- 3/4 tsp prawn paste (terasi/belachan)
- 3/4 tbsp palm sugar
- 1 tsp salt

Directions
- Blend all the ingredients B until smooth
- Mix well ingredients A with B except for the lemongrass
- Divide the paste in 12 equal balls
- Put the paste around the bottom of the lemongrass, grill until cooked

Sambal Matah, mix all the ingredients
- 7 bird's eye chilli, slice thinly
- 8 pcs shallot, slice thinly
- 2 lemongrass, white part only, slice thinly
- 6 kaffir lime leaves, remove the stem, slice thinly
- 1 tsp prawn paste (terasi/belachan)
- 50 ml hot coconut oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
 

No comments:

Post a Comment