6/17/2013

Cakwe

Cakwe is one of my childhood snacks. Although it was not originally from Indonesia, but Indonesians love it because of the savoriness, the soft inner and the crunchy crust. I remember I could easily find street vendors selling this cakwe in almost every schools with its orange-y sauce. From elementary, junior high, to senior high school.

Back then, I was not suppose to buy snacks from those street vendors, because my mom would lecture me about the hygienic and the ingredients but sometimes I was just being ignorant. 

This is my first time making this cakwe and it was quite good. I got the recipe from here, but I cut it in half, which makes about a big full bowl of cooked cakwe.
crunchy, crunchy..

Ingredients

250 gr all purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
200 ml lukewarm water
1/2T baking soda
1t baking powder
1t salt
oil for frying

Directions

1. Mix together salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
2. Pour the water and mix well. It will start to make bubbles. Quite cute.
3. Add the flour in batches. Mix well between batches to prevent lumps. Cover with cling wrap and let it sit for 20 minutes.
4. Cover a clean surface with extra flour, knead the dough until it's no longer sticky. Shape into a rectangle.
5. Cover with a clean cling wrap and let it sit for another 30 minutes.
6. Cut the rectangle to a 6 cm width, roll each piece to make 1/4 cm thickness.
7. Cut the dough every 1 cm  so you'll have 6 cm x 1 cm small rectangles. Put a rectangle over another one, and gently press a bamboo skewer or a chopstick lengthwise to stick them together.
8. Heat the oil in the pan on medium heat. Make sure the oil is hot enough otherwise the dough won't risen. Stretch each cakwe to 10 cm long. Put the cakwes on the pan and let them rise and turn golden brown.
9. Drain with paper towel. Serve warm.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment