6/09/2013

Soto Bandung

Although my parents were originally from Malang, East Java, but my father had been moved to Bandung since he went to college. After he graduated, he stayed in Bandung to work. And so when he married my mother, she then moved in with him to Bandung.

My big sister, I, and my younger brother all were born in Bandung. We went to school there. We all graduated from Bandung's university except my sissy, she graduated from Perth, Australia. Even though my parents' roots were from East Java, but we are very familiar with West Java's culture. As for the traditional food, we really like Bandung's foods for their spiciness and savoriness.

One of them is Soto Bandung. It is basically beef soup with white radish. I swear it is so easy to cook, and tastes great too!

Ingredients
Serves 2

250 gr beef brisket
1,5L water
1T oil for frying
1 stalk lemongrass, discard the green part, bruised
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
150 gr white radish/daikon, sliced about 1/4 inch
1/2 inch ginger, bruised
1/2T salt
1/4T pepper
Green onion
Fried mung beans (I didn't use it because I couldn't find it here)
White rice

Directions

1. Put the water in a pot, add the beef and boil. I like to bring the water and beef to boil for 5 minutes and discard the water. Pour the new 1,5L water into the pot and bring to boil until the beef is tender.
2. When the beef is tender, remove the beef from the pot but keep the water. Diced the beef to 1x1inch. Put the oil on a pan and add the garlic when it's hot. Sautee until fragrant.
3. Add the sauteed garlic, lemongrass, ginger, and radish to the pot of broth.
4. When the broth starting to boil, add the beef, salt and pepper. Cook until the radish is tender.
5. Serve with green onion, fried mung beans, and white rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment