7/02/2013

30 years old

 When I was a little kid, my parents often made me and my siblings this birthday gathering. I wouldn't say party because it's only for family, my cousins and aunts and uncles who also lived in Bandung. The event was usually only contains blowing the candles and dinner. That's it. It was never a big celebrations, but what I remember the most is that we always gather whenever there's someone's having an additional age. There's laughs, stories told, karaoke, and I enjoyed being surrounded by people that I love and love me.

My first birthday away from my family was my 13th. I was on a home stay program with my sister in Sydney, Australia for 2 weeks. A day before my birthday, I cried heavily knowing that my parents, my brother and my cousins wouldn't be there for my birthday. I felt so sad. After crying for hours, I went out to my boarding house's mother and told her that I was having my birthday the day after.

The next day when I and my sister arrived home from our course, my boarding house's mother gave me a surprise. Turned out that she was busy all day in the kitchen, made me a special birthday treat, Indonesian Nasi Goreng and Chicken Satay. I was so touched at the moment and I felt so blessed even though I was away from my family.

That was what a birthday meant to me. People congratulate you, gifts, affections, feels like you are the center of the world.

One of the most memorable birthday would be my 20th. I remember thinking that it was a huge difference between a 20 years old and a teenager. I felt like a grown up. I mean, it has a number 2 in front. Like you are old enough to decide what you want in life.

Yesterday, I turned 30 years old.

Being from a twenty-something to a thirty years old, I think it was just as important as being 20 from your teenage years. Not that I was hoping for a huge celebrations or luxury gifts, but it's more to a grateful moment as I realized that almost all of my dreams in my childhood came true.

Became an architect. Have someone you didn't know you really loved and needed as your husband. Have an amazing son. Experience of living abroad in several countries.

I had some conditional flukes here and there but still I think I am so blessed and loved. I am grateful. For having wonderful family and friends, a husband that understands me more than myself, a son that is so adorable and kissable, and a really exciting chapter of our life journey right now and what to come.

I love being thirty. And I am soaking my moments.
Midnight birthday cake

No comments:

Post a Comment